For a list of all articles I have published elsewhere, click here.
Books and Reviews
For a list of books I have read and reviews I have written of them, click here.
You can explore my academic research.
Google+ Social Search Patents
As part of my work on the Google+ launch in 2011, my manager Frances Haugen and I spearheaded original research and development on social search and rankings as well as how to use search as a means of creating interactivity and connections among users. That work was eventually migrated into a series of patents and assigned to Google.
- Adjusting a ranking of search results (US8825644B1, granted 2014-09-02)
- Presenting search results (US8892591B1, granted 2014-11-18)
- Suggesting interaction among members of a social network (US9489458B1, granted 2016-11-08)
- Generating search results for people (US9244985B1, granted 2016-01-26)
- Suggesting participation in an online social group (US8977641B1, granted 2015-03-10)
- Suggesting a tag to promote a discussion topic (US9514198B1, granted 2016-12-06)
- Determining content of interest based on social network interactions and information (US9904703B1, granted 2018-02-27)
- Venture Capital Disrupted (Princeton 2018 Spring Lecture) (06 Apr 2018)
- 2017 and Regulated Businesses (Princeton Fall 2017 Lecture) (20 Oct 2017)
- Searching for that Yellow Brick Road (Princeton Spring 2017 Lecture) (14 Apr 2017)
- The New Wave of Global Journalism (Key Platform 2014 Presentation) (22 Apr 2014)
- The Startup Life (Korea University 2014 Lecture) (19 Mar 2014)
- Startup Toolkit (Born2Global 2014 Lecture) (07 Mar 2014)
- Innovation Hubs and Engineering Education in Korea (31 May 2012)
- Growing Korea's Innovation Garden (KAIST Lecture 2012) (21 May 2012)
- Steve Jobs, South Korea and the Search for Innovation (Fulbright Forum 2012 Lecture) (20 Apr 2012)
EST 364: How to Build a Startup (Summer, 2015)
State University of New York, Stony Brook University (Songdo Campus)
This course was an accelerated introduction to startups and entrepreneurship for a special program of Korean University undergrads. Students learned the history and methodologies of startups, while also building their own company.
Lecture Slides (Theory)
- Business Model Canvas
- Metrics Intro
- Reading News
- Startup Metrics
- User Stories
- Why Startups
Lecture Slides (Activities)
Lecture Slides (Case Studies)