Gary Rivlin's Katrina
- Cho Chongnae’s The Human Jungle
- Blake Crouch's Dark Matter
- Sven Beckert's Empire of Cotton
Updated Dec. 31th, 2017
Send me book recommendations!
- Rebecca Solnit's A Field Guide to Getting Lost
- Gabriel Wyner's Forever Fluent
- Robert E. Kraut and Paul Resnick's Building Successful Online Communities
- Vien Thanh Nguyen's The Sympathizer
- Nir Eyal's Hooked
- Yaa Gyasi's Homegoing
- Malka Older's Null State
- Liane Moriarty's Big Little Lies
- Philipp Meuser's Architectural and Cultural Guide: Pyongyang
- Nicholas Bonner's Made in North Korea
- Political Risk: The risk from elections, changes in government, war, etc. have seemed to increase signifniacntly in the last few years, and yet our tools to understand how political risk affects companies and individuals have remained stagnant. How can we revolutionize the field?
- Competitive Cities: After Amazon's bid for its HQ2 got hundreds of proposals from cities across the United States, how might cities more efficiently use economic development dollars to create job growth? How can we analyze what works and what doesn't?
- Cost Disease: Costs for many services in the US have skyrocketed, including industries as diverse as housing, health, education, and infrastructure. What is driving these prices, and what can be done to bring prices more in line with inflation in other industries?
- New Approaches to Political Lobbying: Lobbying remains completely ancient compared to the technological change that has happened to nearly every other form of brokering industry. What can be done to improve its effectiveness, with the hope of improving access for all people to politicians.
- Next-generation Media: Media businesses are still struggling, yet it is clear that a persistent focus on audience development and subscriptions is the way forward. What tools need to be built to bring this world to fruition faster?
- Graph Databases and Learning: This is more broad-based – how can we use knowledge maps to improve learning (specifically thinking around foreign languages).